Trying to find the right gifts, making the decorations look fabulous and cooking tons of amazing food. Of course it’s nice to do something extra, but I do think that we often get carried away around the holidays, looking for some kind of perfection that doesn’t exist.
No matter where you are on the spectra of holiday celebrations, from not caring much about all the hoopla, to going into some kind of all out Christmas frenzy (that already started before December!), let’s just stop for a brief moment.
This picture showed up in my FB feed a while back, re-posted by my friend Malia Kekuewa. (I’m not sure where the original is from. If you know let me know so I can give credit.) It’s so simple, yet so profound. Once again it’s all about perspective. Below is my version of this list. What does yours look like?
- Early wake-ups = Cats to love and/or early morning workouts with awesome people
- House to clean = Safe place to live
- Laundry = Clothes to wear
- Dishes to wash = Food to eat
- Crumbs under the table = Family meals, may or may not include cats conspiring under table
- Grocery Shopping = Money to provide for nutritious food – keeps me healthy and strong
- Toilets to clean = Indoor plumbing
- Lots of noise = People & pets in my life
- Endless questions about health = Peoples’ brains growing
- Sore and tired in bed = I’m still healthy and alive! (…even after that last benchmark!)
Let’s remember all the small things in our daily lives that we take for granted. We are lucky to be in a position to even be thinking about having more. The rest is just icing on the cake! Don’t stress about the small stuff, and enjoy the time spent with friends and family.
From all of me, to all of you –
P.S Ladies, guys aren’t that good at reading minds as you might think. So, don’t get mad if he didn’t get you the “right gift”. Give him props for trying! And for next year work on your communication skills of giving clear hints. 😉